DW Roberts offer a wide choice of spectacle frames (including designer frames) at each of our friendly, family optical practices serving North Bucks and South Northants. Our practices can be found in Bletchley, Newport Pagnell, Stony Stratford, Towcester and Wolverton and they also serve the wider areas of Milton Keynes, Olney, Fenny Stratford, Buckingham, Winslow in North Buckinghamshire and Brackley in South Northamptonshire.
Find out how to choose the best frame to suit you:
There are so many choices! How do you know what is best for you?
Start by considering these points:
- What are you going to be using your glasses for and when will you wear them?
- How do you want them to look?
- Are they suited to your prescription?
- Do you have any special requirements (e.g. are you allergic to Nickel?)
Then think about:
- Do they fit me?
- Do they suit my face shape?
- Do they suit my colouring?
- Am I happy with how they look and feel?
- Do I need more than one pair?
- Would it be useful to have a separate pair for work and home?
- Do I need separate sunglasses?
We carry a wide range of frames and with so many options available finding what you like can be daunting. At DW Roberts our optical staff and opticians are dedicated to helping you choose the frames and lenses that are best for you!
The two types of frame material available to you are:
- Plastic frames which generally have thicker rims and sit directly onto the bridge of your nose
- Metal frames which are usually thinner on the rim and most often will sit on the bridge of your nose by resting on nosepads.
Frame styles can be classified into three different categories:
- Full rim frames
- These are considered to be the most durable as they offer the greatest protection to the lenses. With modern materials such as Flexon, they can offer flexibility within the frame to withstand knocks and frequent handling. In terms of appearance they are usually the most prominent frames as they completely encircle the eye.
- Semi rimless frames
- These offer a pleasant halfway point between durable full rim frames and light weight minimal rimless frames and can be made of plastic or metal too. Usually they will have a top rim but the bottom of the frame is replaced by nylon cord which retains the lenses. These will then appear to blend into your face as the top line of the frame is visible, the lens is less so. A metal semi rimless frame will be less prominent than a plastic semi rimless frame.
- Rimless Frames
- These glasses are the least visible of all. Should you wish to reduce the impact your frame makes, these will be the best choice. The glazing requirements of this type of frame require that they are made with higher refractive index lenses to improve durability, and there is a limit to which prescriptions suit the frame. At DW Roberts we will advise you at the time of dispensing if rimless are suitable for your prescription.
Deciding on your Frame Choice
At DW Roberts our optometrists aim to help every customer find the right frames to compliment both vision and appearance. Whether you are a child or an adult choosing which style you prefer can be dictated by:
- or maybe all three!
How well your frames fit is another important consideration. It is important to get the size of your frame right so the finished glasses are comfortable to wear. Minor adjustments will ensure correct centration of your lenses.
Your face shape and natural colouring will also determine which frame is best suited to you. A video camera is installed in all our practices for you to compare a range of styles on screen. Our dispensing optician will be there to guide you and offer a second opinion should you want one.
We pride ourselves on carrying a range of frames to suit all visual requirements, styles and budgets so we encourage you to call in to view our range which includes many designer frames.
If you would like to look at our frame selection or seek advice on the best frames for you, why not make an appointment?
Back To Top
- Get In Touch:
- Bletchley – 01908 373131
- Newport Pagnell – 01908 218121
- Stony Stratford – 01908 562355
- Towcester – 01327 350240
- Wolverton – 01908 313338